In honor of the only surviving founders of N4C Vernice and Francis Kingsbury were presented a "Lifetime Dedication Award" from N4C at the 60th annual convention of N4C at Fargo, North Dakota. Here's a little history of how N4C got it's start.
The "NORTH CENTRAL CAMERA CLUB COUNCIL” had its inception almost simultaneously in the minds of three men Robert H. Cochran, M.D., APSA. Omaha, E, Curtis Lugg, Sioux Falls, and Francis A. Kingsbury, Ponca and Sioux City.
Fate decided that their paths should cross in the Spring of 1955, these three men sat on the front porch of the Kingsbury home in Ponca Nebraska where their vision gave birth to the North Central Council of Camera Clubs. From their idea that evening a tentative organization, created May 30, 1955, combined members of seven Camera Clubs located in Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota. and South Dakota.
Summer, Fall, and Winter Seasons were spent in organizational creation of many of the services still available from the "N-4-C", as the infant was nicknamed. Meeting at the Joslyn Memorial Art Museum in Omaha, January 22, 1956, resulted in adopting a Constitution, and in electing the temporary officers to their permanent positions.
The First Convention, held in Sioux City, lowa, with Francis A. Kingsbury as General Chairman gave the 123 delegates from the 20 member Clubs such excellent programs that it is difficult to uphold tradition in the subsequent Conventions, The now famous "N 4 C, “Where Names become Faces and Faces become Friends" was originated during this gathering by Francis Kingsbury. The original officers were re-elected to complete their assignment to build an active and lasting N-4 C.